I’m not much of a planner. My profession demands that I plan my days, months, quarters and of course year-end, but outside of work I resist it as much as possible. My research into the Iron Butt tells me it requires a lot of planning and maybe that’s why it’s taken me over three years to finally decide on a date to leave on my first Iron Butt challenge. Not being one to do things in a small way I will actually be doing three challenges in one ride – 1,000 miles in 24 hours, 1,500 miles in 36 hours and border to border (Canada to Mexico) in 36 hours.
So far my planning has been as follows:
- Plan a route that accomplishes all three rides – thank you google maps
- Plan a place to sleep after first ride – thank you TripAdvisor
- Plan what time to leave so I am missing traffic and not crossing into Mexico in the middle of the night – thank you math
- Buy a new tank bag with the perfect place for my Gas receipts and other essentials – thank you Royal Distributing
- Plan fuel stops – thank you Gas Buddy phone app
Ok, I guess I’m ready to go !! I need witnesses at the end of each ride, I sure hope I meet some nice people.